PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 2017
CONTACT: 
Jennifer Crusco
Communications Assistant
jcrusco@holyangels.org

AHA Continues Operation Rice Bowl Tradition

 

Demarest, NJ: Throughout the Lenten season, the Academy of the Holy Angels will raise funds to benefit Operation Rice Bowl.

The effort began with lunchtime celebrations of Mardi Gras and Carnevale. The Italian Club sold generously stuffed heroes and invited diners to fill their own cannoli for another $1 more. Outreach covered dessert by organizing a bake sale that was conveniently located next to the Italian Club’s table. Together, these events netted close to $200. 

The campaign will continue in the school’s homerooms, in the Student Commons, and through Carol Fay’s sophomore religion class.

Fay bases her lesson on the Parable of the Talents, in which a landowner asks three servants to be stewards of his talents (money, in the biblical context). Fay gives her sophomores her personal contribution to Operation Rice Bowl, and challenges them to use their talents (gifts, in this case) to make it grow. The students are not permitted to tell Fay how much money they raise, but are asked to write a reflection on the talents they used, those they discovered, and the talents of others they needed to accomplish their work. Each student evaluates her own effort and comments on what the landowner from the parable would say to her.

Fay’s students have developed many creative ways to make the seed money grow. One student provided makeovers, another held an online garage sale, and one class held an Operation Rice Bowl fundraiser as a team.

According to the Catholic Relief Services website (crsricebowl.org), Operation Rice Bowl was launched in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 1975 in response to a famine in Africa. The following year, Operation Rice Bowl was being run on a national level. In 1977, Catholic Relief Services recognized Operation Rice Bowl as its official program.

Donations provide relief on both the local and global levels. Catholic Relief Services reports that 75% of every Operation Rice Bowl donation supports world-wide CRS programs that increase agricultural harvests, improve access to clean water and sanitation, bolster small businesses, support education, and foster health care and nutrition. The remaining 25% of each donation helps to ameliorate hunger and poverty in local communities.

 

 

Since 1879, thousands of women have passed through the portals of Academy of the Holy Angels high school, the oldest private girls’ school in New Jersey. Many go on to study at some of the nation’s best universities, earning high-ranking positions in medicine, government, law, education, public service, business, arts and athletics. Our goal is to provide each girl with the tools she needs to reach the fullness of her potential—spiritually, intellectually, socially and physically, by offering a first –rate education in a nurturing environment where equal importance is placed on academic excellence, character development, moral integrity and giving service to others.

Academy of the Holy Angels

315 Hillside Avenue Contact Us & Driving Directions

Demarest, NJ 07627

Phone: 201.768.7822

Contact Us & Driving Directions

Copyright 2017. Academy of the Holy Angels. Privacy Policy.